Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is it tragic or a blessing....??? Part I


I never understood the field of Special Needs service till 1997. I started working with a child challenged by autism in Montgomery County, Maryland.I was a neophyte. I never experience the ABA approach or the Applied Behavioral Analysis popularized by UCLA's Dr. I. Lovaas (80's). A group of ABA certified consultants trained me and the child taught me about his "Autism". ABA in plain and simple terms is "reinforcement theory" from Pavlov,Skinner and many others who posits that our mental challenges can be environmentally triggered and reinforced in a positive or negative way.
I am not a psychologist though I studied psychology. I directly worked with the Special Needs people from 1997 till the present.This blog is not mainly about the 'special needs people', it is about the workers like me and many others who labored because we care and love the people we labeled "special". Special indeed because I never met anyone (not even me) really authentic soul/spirit till 1997 - "you get what you see" meaning if they like you, they really meant that without pretentions and deceit (a few exceptions in severe cases based on my experiences.Approximately a hundred or more of them I directly worked with (span 1997-Present), only 2-3 were "good for nothing", I even thought and theorized that they were products of their upbringing and environment.I hope you will learn from my experience.I hope you will enjoy reading my blog...my ramblings...my frustrations and glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment